University of Worcester Worcester Research and Publications
 
  USER PANEL:
  ABOUT THE COLLECTION:
  CONTACT DETAILS:

Making Every "Point" Count: Identifying the Key Determinants of Team Success in Elite Men’s Wheelchair Basketball

Francis, John ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7457-5665, Owen, A. and Peters, D.M. ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7873-7737 (2019) Making Every "Point" Count: Identifying the Key Determinants of Team Success in Elite Men’s Wheelchair Basketball. Frontiers in Psychology, 10. p. 1431. ISSN Online: 1664-1078

[img]
Preview
Text
fpsyg-10-01431.pdf - Published Version
Available under License Creative Commons Attribution.

Download (235kB) | Preview

Abstract

Wheelchair basketball coaches and researchers have typically relied on box score data and the Comprehensive Basketball Grading System to inform practice, however, these data do not acknowledge how the dynamic perspectives of teams change, vary and adapt during possessions in relation to the outcome of a game. Therefore, this study aimed to identify the key dynamic variables associated with team success in elite men’s wheelchair basketball and explore the impact of each key dynamic variable upon the outcome of performance through the use of binary logistic regression modelling. The valid and reliable template developed by Francis, Owen and Peters (2019) was used to analyse video footage in SportsCode from 31 games at the men’s 2015 European Wheelchair Basketball Championships. The 31 games resulted in 6,126 rows of data which were exported and converted into a CSV file, analysed using R (R Core Team 2015) and subjected to a data modelling process. Chi-square analyses identified significant (p<0.05) relationship between Game Outcome and 19 Categorical Predictor Variables. Automated stepwise binary regression model building was completed using 70% of the data (4,282 possessions) and produced a model that included 12 Categorical Predictor Variables. The accuracy of the developed model was deemed to be acceptable at accurately predicting the remaining 30% of the data (1,844 possessions) and produced an area under the receiver operating characteristic curve value of 0.759. The model identified the odds of winning are more than double when the team in possession are in a state of winning at the start of the possession are increased five-fold when the offensive team do not use a 1.0 or 1.5 classified player but are increased six-fold when the offensive team use three or more 3.0 or 3.5 players The final model can be used by coaches, players and support staff to devise training and game strategies that involve selecting the most appropriate offensive and defensive approaches when performing ball possessions to enhance the likelihood of winning in elite men’s wheelchair basketball.

Item Type: Article
Additional Information:

Copyright © 2019 Francis, Owen and Peters. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC BY). The use, distribution or reproduction in other forums is permitted, provided the original author(s) and the copyright owner(s) are credited and that the original publication in this journal is cited, in accordance with accepted academic practice. No use, distribution or reproduction is permitted which does not comply with these terms.

Uncontrolled Keywords: sports performance analysis, paralympic, European Championships, logistic regresion, predictive modelling
Subjects: R Medicine > RC Internal medicine > RC1200 Sports Medicine
Divisions: Divisions (2019 onwards) > College of Business, Psychology and Sport > School of Sport and Exercise Science
Related URLs:
Depositing User: John Francis
Date Deposited: 05 Jun 2019 08:40
Last Modified: 26 Nov 2019 09:57
URI: https://eprints.worc.ac.uk/id/eprint/8119

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item
 
     
Worcester Research and Publications is powered by EPrints 3 which is developed by the School of Electronics and Computer Science at the University of Southampton. More information and software credits.